Pantry Bean Salad and Grilled Corn (Vegan)
Despite loving beans, I am not a bean salad fan. I find them to vinegar-y and tart. However, the twist of honey, or agave, in this recipe balances out the vinegar (agave is a vegan substitute for honey). It is a perfect healthy salad for a BBQ. Because there is no dairy in the recipe, it will keep if you want keep it out or take it on a picnic. I also like the bean salad because all of the items, save the red pepper, can be found in a stocked pantry.
Last night, we enjoyed the bean salad with a good friend, EB. The three of us got into a small debate on grilling corn. Do you open the husk a bit or leave it closed? We decided to just throw them on the grill over medium heat and turn them around and around. Well, the results are in, and it didn’t seem to matter, both are good. I even sliced mine off the cob and mixed it in with the bean salad, delicious!
Pantry Bean Salad
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- 1 can of black-eyed beans
- 3/4 cup red onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper,chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons honey or agave (to make it Vegan).
1. Take the beans out of the cans and rinse really well in a colander. You want to make sure you rinse off the starch and salt.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir very well. Let sit for an hour for the flavors to meld together.