Project: Food Budget, Week Four
Yay! This week was a super budget week! We joined Washington’s Green Grocer and a box of food arrived at our door last night. Packed with all-organic fruits and veggies, the box cost $37. Additionally, our grocery shopping for the week was only 1 bag of lentils, milk and eggs. We were $24 under budget, for the week. Over the past month, we went over budget once, but we have lived largely under budget. One thing to mention, in the past, we were never under $100. But, with the goal of staying under $75, we found many ways to eat well under, including joining Washington’s Green Grocer, which eliminated the need to make big trips to the store. I was so pleased/excited/enthused. The box has more than enough for the three of us this week. I mean LOOK at this box:
Too bad I was too sick to cook last night. When confronted with picking up staples, I looked at grocery shopping as time to buy needs, instead of wants. We have not been living on meager rations either, just check out some of the past recipes! We were $66 under budget, but saved about $150 from the month before.
Reflections from this week:
- Having a delivery service takes out the need to go to a grocery store for big purchases. Instead, we pick up one or two staples a week.
- When I send AAM to get three ingredients, he always comes back with just those ingredients. I am in awe of his ability to pass everything, especially the lure of the cheese aisle!
- Instead of listing plain pasta and other boring items, I am going to list just the new fun things I am making based off my Green Grocer box. Nobody needs to know the amount of pasta or burritos we eat.
Vegetarian Salmon Food Budget
two adults and one baby who eats finger foods.
Goal: $75 a week/ $300 a month
Purchased: Lentils, Black Beans, Milk, Eggs, Washington Green Grocer box: Mixed Colored Carrots,Turnips, Broccoli, Red Potatoes, Avocados, Romaine, Red Chard, Pink Lady Apples, Mineola Tangelos, Red Grapefruit, Mango, Bananas.
Special Meals this Week: (Sunday through Sunday)
- The Reluctant Vegetarian
- Maria Marz
- Veggie Converter
- Low Budge Veg
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Beauty, Fitness, and Health…Oh My!
- Motor City Girl In the Steel City
- Veggie Burgher
- Baked Beans and Broccoli…Vegetarian Budgeting
- Sweet Rehab
- The Happy Cactus
- The Vegetarian Salmon
- Test Kitchen Tuesday
- Newly Vegan
- Always Sick and Tired