Easy Mac & Cheese for 2.5
Although there is no such thing as too much macaroni and cheese, when you aren’t cooking for an entire family it feels like tons of work to make it. This recipe is as easy as the instant, but with the taste of homemade. I prefer a hefty medium size pasta like cavatappi for my macaroni and cheese. The ridges and twists in the pasta stand up to being cooked twice, so you avoid the soggy pasta problem. You can assemble the pasta, cheese, butter, salt and pepper in the oven safe dish and save it for when you are ready to cook later, then just add the milk and cream. This recipe is more of an estimate, but it should be enough for 2, or for four side servings.
Classic Mac & Cheese for 2.5**
** modify the recipe based on the size of your container and how cheesy you like your mac and cheese.
- 2-3 cups of al dente Cavatappi
- 1/3 cup of sharp shredded cheddar
- 1/3 cup of shredded gruyere (optional)
- 1/3 cup of Pecorino or Parmesan
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter cut into fourths
- 1 tb ground pepper
- 1/2 tb paprika
- 1 tspn of salt
- sprinkle of breadcrumbs
- 2 tb of cream
- 1 cup of milk
- In a small ovenproof container, add hot pasta. Mix in cheeses, butter, paprika, salt and pepper. Store in the fridge until you are ready to cook
- Once ready, pour milk and cream over the pasta mixture, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes, or until the pasta is golden.