Shaved Asparagus Pizza (Smitten Kitchen Inspired)
We are big fans of the Smitten Kitchen cookbook. Not only did the author, Deb Perelman, create an enjoyable book to read, but the recipes are innovative without being overly done. A former vegetarian, she even has a section for vegetarian mains. We have tried a few recipes from the cookbook, and all of them end up simple to create and delicious. I highly recommend the cookbook.
A few Saturday nights ago, we decided to have a simple, at-home date night: streaming Netflix and a homemade pizza. Using Perelman’s recipe as a guide, with a few minor adjustments, we created this shaved asparagus pizza, and immediately devoured it. The combination of the scallions and asparagus are phenomenal.
Note: I changed the cooking heat, since pizza dough needs to cook from the inside a little slower than what she had provided. I also added Pecorino to give the cheese some kick. We also used whole wheat pizza dough.
Shaved Asparagus Pizza
- Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 bunch of asparagus (20 stalks or so)
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cups of shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup of Pecorino cheese
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- Sprinkling of Parmesan
1.Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2. Roll out your pizza dough on a pizza peel covered in corn meal. Cover the dough with mozzarella and Pecorino.
3. Using a peeler, hold the stalks and peel the asparagus, making shavings. Top the pizza with the shavings and scallions.
4. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan and ground pepper.
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Then, raise the heat to 500, and bake for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is golden and the asparagus lightly browned.