Lemon Brussels Sprouts and Almond Penne
This was an absolutely delicious meal. I can’t wait to have it for lunch tomorrow!
For those of you easing into veg eating, you won’t even notice it is vegan! We loved this, and it will definitely reappear in our routine. A hint with whole wheat pasta: don’t follow the old Italian techniques of cooking pasta al dente. I find it is better cooked through, with a generous amount of olive oil and spices. Yes, healthier doesn’t taste the same, but with a few adjustments, we can all make healthy food taste good.
Lemon Brussels Sprouts & Almond Penne
- 3 cups of Brussels Sprouts
- 5 tb olive oil divided
- 1 tb kosher salt
- 1 tb freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, squeezed
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 box of whole wheat penne
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. In a roasting pan, mix 2 tb of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir together. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
3. Boil water. Cook the pasta according to the box directions. Drain.
4. Pull the Brussels Sprouts out of the oven, slice/shred them. Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a pan with more olive oil (you can use the empty pasta pan) with the olive oil.
5. Stir together the penne, Brussels Sprouts, and almonds. Be sure to include any olive oil/lemon juice from cooking, which will help add a nice sauce to the pasta.