Biscuit Veggie Potpie
Potpies were always a mystery to me. My mother didn’t make them, I didn’t eat meat, and well there was alot of mystery under that luring dough topping. I have studied in England and in Australia, visited my family in Ireland– meat pie meccas– and well the phenomena really intrigued me. Intriguing because of the one pot recipe that appeared to be more popular than sandwiches. So, a few years ago, I researched pot pies, and realized that a vegetarian version is just as good as the real thing. The key is the dough topping, thickness of the ingredients, and the blend of spices.
This recipe is adapted from several different chicken pot pie recipes. It uses a a fisherman’s wharf rub, which my mother-in-law bought for us in Maine, and is vegetarian. The rub has lemon pepper, thyme, and all sorts of nice spices. You could use Herbs de Provence or a Monterey chicken spice rub– just because the rub is targeted for meat doesn’t mean you can’t use it. Just be sure that you read the labels. Additionally, feel free to add more veggies in, such as peppers, broccoli or asparagus. We used what we had on hand, but as any potpie is, the more veggies the merrier.
To make this a weeknight menu item, I replaced a formal dough topping with those biscuits you find in the dairy section of the grocery store. I know these are not the most healthy things to purchase, but in the grand scheme of things we eat pretty healthy around here, so the convenience item won. However, if you are vegan or prefer homemade biscuits, feel free to put your own dough choice on top.
We are still working in a kitchen with no lights because our old timey lighting means we can’t find matching fixtures…so please bare with the quality of photos
Biscuit Veggie Potpie
- 2 tb olive oil
- 4 medium red potatoes chopped in chunks
- 1 cup of carrots chopped
- 1 cup of celery sliced
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 2 cups of frozen pearled onions
- 4 cups of baby spinach loosely chopped
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2 tb of dijon mustard
- 2 tb flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tb a light rub (Fisherman’s wharf, Herbes de Provence, or Monterey)
- 1 tb paprika
- 1 can of biscuits, homemade alternative, or vegan dough alternative
- In an oven safe large pot, quickly saute the potatoes in olive oil.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, rub, and paprika.
- Add 1 cup of veggie broth to the potatoes. Then, stir in the spice mixture and coat the potatoes.
- Add the onions, peas, carrots, celery with another cup of broth and the white wine. Let boil for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the spinach and mustard, slowly stir it together. Let the pot simmer over low until the veggies are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Top the veggie stew with sliced biscuit dough, be sure to cover the general area.
- Let bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden.